Old 01-17-22, 10:48 PM
M.Lou.B

Bikes: Trek Multitrack 7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I don't know what size your tires are, but there are tires that are durable enough for your needs. The Schwalbe Marathons can vary in weight and intended purposes, thus have different model names after the Marathon label. For example, the Marathon Plus HS440 is almost flat proof, but that almost flat proof liner will raise the weight to almost 1,000 grams each tire! Unless you're doing touring, you don't need that Plus HS440 type of tire, unless the roads you ride on are littered with goat heads, glass, and pieces of tire wires. If you want to stay with a good highly flat resistant tire you could go with the Marathon Supreme, that tire weighs around 440 grams, it will last a long time and be more than adequate for flat protection, and this tire is so good some people even tour on them. One step up from that tire with a bit more durability and flat protection is the Marathon Almotion tire, this is the tire I chose to tour on because it struck a balance between the heavy Plus HS440 and the Supreme which is more of a minimalist touring tire, but of course the Almotion weighs a bit more at around 650 grams, but I was willing to accept that since it would last longer and have good flat resistance.

Of course, Schwalbe aren't the only tires on the market, so it depends on what size tire your bike uses, you need to find something that will have low rolling resistance, good durability, and decent flat protection.
Hello rekmeyata,

thank you very much for your reply. There are so many different tires out there that it's quite confusing what to look for, so your advice really helps. I will definitely check out the Marathon Almotion and the Marathon Supreme. Last night I was looking at the Marathon Racer which is 35cm wide and weighs 465g per tyre, which would drop some 700g off my bike. My wheels are 700 or 28" btw, nothing unusual.
I've been considering upgrading the rims as well though I'm not quite sure how to pick a new set. Have you got any suggestions that would be reliable enough for the occasional touring but not too heavy?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!