Old 01-29-22, 06:58 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Here's what I've done: at home I mix up a tub (in an old 5 lb. protein container) of maltodextrin and whey protein in a 7:1 mix by weight. I put 2c. of that stuff in a liter or 24 oz. water bottle. That lasts about 50 miles or between controls or maybe longer. I put however many 1c Ziploc bags are appropriate in my saddle bag to reconstitute as I go. Obviously more bags can be put in a drop bag. That's my between controls nutrition. At a control I get whatever else seems good, mix another bottle and go. I also have a liter bottle of plain water and Endurolytes in a coin purse. I buy the malto in 50# bags from a homebrew supply house or Amazon.

I try to drink a swallow of this mix every 15 minutes, 2 swallows every 30' or whatever. The idea is to drink frequently, so it's a steady drip thing rather than meals. I've described this on BF many times. Other riders have also had success doing this - it's not just nut-case me. I don't get sick of it. The taste is very mild. The issue is that this won't work on PBP unless you have a support person who keeps track of you about every 400k. So there, just put as many croissants as you need into your bar bag. A croissant is about 250 calories.
I'm doing something wrong, can you help me. I cannot imagine dissolving 2 cups of malto/whey into 1 liter. I use less but still it clumps. Maybe because I bought cheap big bag of Malto from a brewer? Are there different qualities? A stirrer?

What I have done is dissolve as much as I can of a similar mix in hot water and then cool. This is more of a fuel bottle than a water bottle. For in my bottle, I dose it out in old vitamin bottles with narrow mouths. I had bad luck with baggies.

This is for OP: On 2019 PBP, I expended 19,000 kj on the ride per my power meter. This is about 19,000 calories or 25 calories per mile. My basal metabolic rate is 1900 calories per day. So, I burned a total of 25,000 calories over 75 hours with about 52 hours moving time. A rider who uses 70% fat vs 30% fat for caloric needs is an easy calculation. One rider would easily replace glycogen by eating diligently, the other will likley suffer eventually. This is one reason pacing and eating something consistently is so critical. Or, stop and eat a big meal and let it digest....sort of what I did in 2019. I have no idea of my caloric intake in 2019, I just ate at cafes, bakeries, and 6 times at controls and did not carry food....just mostly water on the bike...tourist style. In 2015, I consumed about 7500-9500 calories over 54 hours. I do not have my power file anymore but seem to recall total expenditure of 29,000 calories. I lost 5 pounds of fat on the ride (skin fold verified and it was very obvious to the eye and scale) and I was dragging on the return and for a variety of reasons did not have enough food. Don't be that guy. Again, for the OP. Getting your eating and drinking and pooping down is a very important thing at the longer distances. Don't be afraid to experiment. I often read that PBP riders burn 35-40,000 calories on the ride but my power meters say otherwise. Overeating can be as bad as undereating. You have to learn your requirements the hardway. That and keeping warm in the cool, damp night will go a long way toward finishing it
Likes For GhostRider62: