Old 02-17-22, 09:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 1,998 Times in 1,419 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I guess what to put down one's throat is of interest because so many get it wrong. Upset stomach, puking, and diarrhea.

For instance, I know I can drink 2/3 of a Red Ambulance. That is it, the rest goes into the trash. If I drink the whole thing, I suffer. So, by sharing that.....it might ring a bell with someone.

When I am long distance backpacking, bike touring, or long distance endurance cycling/racing, at about day 4 or 5, I can literally thrown anything down the hatch and it incinerates. Poof. More importantly, it is impossible to digest and process enough food when going hard 10-12+ hours a day and powder ain't going to cut it.
Christoph Strasser famously used an all-liquid diet on RAAM. One of the riders who started with Hammer did two 508s back-to-back on an all-liquid diet (Perpetuem). I have a riding buddy who won the 508 on an all-liquid diet. Another riding buddy did PBP on an all-liquid diet. I did an 18.5 hour mountain 400k on an almost all-liquid diet - added one sandwich and one Hostess Fruit Pie, which is almost liquid. I've done many 10-15 hour event rides on an all-liquid diet. One has to get the concentration in the stomach just right. Osmolality is critical. One drinks small amounts frequently, holding the stomach continuously in the same digestive state. I've never thrown up or had diarrhea.

RAAM is an eating contest. With Strasser as evidence, it's not possible to get as many calories into the blood stream with anything but liquid foods.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 02-17-22 at 09:44 PM.