Old 02-17-22, 10:01 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Liked 2,322 Times in 1,220 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
One of the reasons I put my powder in single use containers is that if I used a large bag, I *think* stuff like sea salt settles and the dose uniformity goes wack.

I think it was Jason Lane who started TABR in 2014 using powder exclusively. Picking stuff up at a post office is a real crap shoot. I arrived at 5 pm to one city and the USPS had just closed. I figured what the heck, get a hotel room, rest up, and pick stuff up at 7-8 am. The post office did not open until 11 am or Noon, IIRC. During which time (3 am to Noon), a hellacious tailwind became the *****st headwind of my life.

WRT Maltodextrin, I am going to buy a small container from another source. Even heating and stirring into water, it was lumpy and lousy. Cyclic Dextrin goes into solution pretty easy but that junk is like 20 bucks a pound. It is the main sugar used in First Endurance EFS-Pro, which works for me but that stuff must have gold in it.
I was using Cytosport Cytomax for a while, and it mixed fine for me. I've switched to 5 lb bags of brewer's matodextrin because it's cheaper. I carry it in snack-sized baggies, add it to the bottle at stops, fill with tap water, invert and shake. From there it seems like road vibration takes care of things.

Just to be clear, I eat real food at stops; the malto is just to keep me stable between meals.