View Single Post
Old 02-24-22, 09:25 PM
markmdavis

Bikes: 1988 Bianchi, 2006 Fuji Absolute 3.0, 1973 Raleigh Sport, 1972 Bottecchia Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you are using clipped pedals the closest you will find are proper road shoes and cleats from Yellow Jersey however be warned it will be harder to get your feet out from them. That is why clipless was invented to make it easy to get out of the pedals but also provide the power and connectivity benefits of clipped pedals. You can leave them loose but then what is the point and it is another thing to catch either your shoe as you are trying to get out or have the straps catch on something while riding.

A mountain bike flat shoe could work quite well, they tend to have good grip but decent support as well if you just want to ride on a flat pedal and with the nicer wide MTB pedals that support your feet well they are a treat. With all the pins that can be adjusted my feet don't really tend to wander so I can get a secure footing without slipping and sliding and truthfully I can wear just about any shoe but some really soft stuff might wear into the pedals overtime.
I like wearing toe straps for security but also because it is easy to get your foot out of them easily. I do not think I would like the added difficulty of cleats. I have been looking at the SYLVAN TOURING NEXT pedals which are compatible with toe clips and straps. The manufacturer says that this "pedal works well for a wide variety types of shoes, as the cage plate tooth profile is grippy but not particular aggressive." So I guess any good MTB bike shoe such as the Five-Ten? What other options are there?