Old 03-03-22, 01:09 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 967 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I highly disagree with this. making eye contact with drivers is huge. So many times drivers “see” us but don’t really see us. Making eye contact forces them to recognize we are people just like them and to deal with us accordingly.

admittedly, it’s not fool proof but making eye contact dramatically improves your chances.
I don't get this at all. The only situation where I'm likely to make eye contact is at an intersection, and I think it's a lot more important to keep my eyes moving to make sure I'm watching all directions at the intersection. I think you're recommending target fixation.
???

"Making eye contact" != "keeping eye contact".

Your interpretation ("target fixation", "not keep [one's] eyes moving", and "making eye contact outside of intersections") of what merlinextraligh said is almost certainly wrong. That is, it seems very likely that he's talking about using it in the same sort of situations (intersections) that you use it.

You really only "make eye contact" with people that are ahead (more or less) of you who might cross your path (more or less). That is, it's something mostly done at intersections (and not much in other situations).

Anyway. I suspect that what people mean by "making eye contact" is attempting to verify that the other person actually notices them.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-03-22 at 01:21 PM.