View Single Post
Old 03-17-22, 07:23 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Liked 3,363 Times in 2,091 Posts
How much do you exercise on "rest" days?

apart from a very short bicycle commute, in typical weeks I ride about 5 days and rest for two. Prior to the pandemic, when I started working from home, I didn't give my exercise on "rest" days much thought, but once the pandemic hit, those days could be truly sedentary - sitting at a desk or on a couch. In contrast, going to work involves either a few miles of cycling or 20 minutes of walking, plus a bunch of stair climbing as I go to different floors in my work building and never take the elevator. Nothing strenuous, but sufficient to get the blood flowing a little.

Post-pandemic (are we post pandemic?), I still work from home several days/week, and those could be rest days, so without conscious effort, I can spend my rest days doing literally no exercise. So I try to go out for a 30 minute walk or do something similar to keep the day from being 100% inactive.

In warmer months, I'm likely to go for a ~20 minute walk after dinner with my wife, so that helps.

I'm not talking about sneaking in a bunch of aerobic exercise on days I know I should be resting, but I'm wondering how much exercise people get on their rest days and whether there are opinions on "the right amount"?
Likes For MinnMan: