View Single Post
Old 03-23-22, 12:29 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
If route designers assume that riders will have GPS, and design accordingly, it is wise to have GPS. I was trying to keep it simple by avoiding unnecessary technology but my plan now is to research and acquire a GPS before next spring.
Garmin vs Wahoo is like tubeless vs clincher or wax vs oiled chains.

I gave it a lot of thought once. My old 810 Garmin used to crash but the new 1030 has been perfect. I almost went Wahoo.

Garmins cost more, have more navigation features, and have way more memory for an onboard map whereas the Wahoo relies more on you having a cell phone with you, but it is cheaper and also has good navigation. Garmin takes some effort to learn whereas the Wahoo is more straightforward. Garmin has a little longer battery life. You see both on brevets and I doubt one is much better than others. For me, it came down to screen resolution and the ability to have a map loaded on the device rather than having to perhaps rely upon a cell connection.

There are quite a few youtube video comparisons out there, your preference might be Wahoo. The only thing I dislike about my Garmin is size, it doesn't matter with randonneuring but if I am doing a time trial, it is a brick
Likes For GhostRider62: