View Single Post
Old 04-08-22, 12:31 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
My new car didn't come with those things. Triple A all the way. And they will actually rescue you if a bike breaks down.
Yes, I like being self-sufficient, and I do have Triple A, but I only plan to use it for a tow for an unfixable mech. failure. One time 30 yrs ago, a new oil filter gasket leaked and the car completely shut down while going 75 mph in the high speed lane on the highway, and I had to roll without power steering to the breakdown lane. That was the first and last time I cashed in on my AAA membership. There's no way I'm "planning" to wait for who knows how long for them to arrive, just to swap a spare tire that I can do in probably less than 10 mins. I just about always carry jumper cables in all of my cars, and have needed to use them several times.

My long-distance saddle bag is crammed full of little things that I'll probably/hopefully never need to use (multi-tool w/chain breaker, quick links, tie-wraps, tire boot, several tube slime patches, 2 extra CO2's, nipple wrench). Sometimes if doing solo rides in somewhat remote areas, I'll strap a spare folding tire to the underside of my saddlebag. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it (within reason, I'm not strapping a 2nd bike to my back).

Last edited by Riveting; 04-08-22 at 12:36 PM.