View Single Post
Old 04-09-22, 01:05 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
If a person is truly worried about their bike being stolen while at work or school, then don't even bother with locks, not even the best ones, because if you have a nice bike, and pros lurk around where you park it, they'll get the bike, no problem. So the best solution is to go on Craigslist and buy a $350 or so bike, and then buy a cheaper $45 lock instead of a $150 lock and lock that bike up at work or school instead. You can also do what a friend of mine did years ago, he bought a pretty nice used bike, then he took a chain to the frame and just mucked it all up, used a cheap cable lock and no one ever stole it while others around his bike would turn up missing, yet the bike that he mucked up had Campy components! But no one ever bothered to look at the components when they saw the bike all beat up. That is also the reason I take an old bike to work and lock it up just in the highly unlikely event someone wants to steal it, my place of work has security cameras all over the place, but no one really notices them there, so if someone stole my bike, we would have pictures of the car they were driving.