Old 04-10-22, 02:19 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I did the same roughly 25 years ago. I, however, don’t use hot wax. I use solvent wax which is just as clean and much less fuss. Prior to that I was using Phil Wood Tenacious Oil which is second only to motor oil in messiness.

Solvent wax, by the way, doesn’t need to be reapplied as often as many people think. I get around 700 miles between applications. Even when touring in the eastern US, I didn’t have to apply more often than 700 miles. I did a 1500 mile tour around Lake Erie and applied it at the beginning of the tour, in the middle (after a long rainy day) and at the end.
"Solvent wax"...

I hot wax my chains with a mixture (~50:50) of paraffin and paraffin oil and am very happy with the results. The YT'er that I got into the process as a result of his videos (Oz Cycle) has a tip for touch-up application by mixing in another part of Xylene which of course dissolves the mixture and then evaporates after application. I haven't yet done this but am considering it for the inevitable 1st time I'm long from home and need to apply "something".

Would that 3-part mixture be considered a "solvent wax"?