Old 04-11-22, 04:48 AM
Florent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrading brakes on a tandem road bike

Hi everyone !
My wife and I are new to this forum, and to this wonderful Tandem World. :-)
We just bought a beautiful CYFAC carbon road bike (manufactured in 2005).
What a pleasure to ride it, we absolutely love that feeling !
The only drawback of this machine is the braking system: 2 Campagnolo Record rim brakes are installed, front and rear.
Our region is only made of quite hilly roads: average 5-7%, up to 12% climbs and descents. Our first descent was quite scary, as we needed several hundred meters to stop the bike, and the rims heated so much that the rear tire started grinding the frame.
5-min stops are now required quite frequently for cooling the rims at each descent.

So now, my plan is to go "hybrid" braking:
Front brake will be on disc, ideally hydraulic, but must be compatible with the Campagnolo Record cable braking system and levers. TRP HY/RD associated with Shimano Saint disc, Ø203mm could do the job. I'll need a new fork with IS mount, a new compatible wheel, and 700x28c tire (Continental GP5000). Rear brake: unfortunately I must keep the current rim brake as the frame doesn't have any disc mount. The only upgrade will be to change the wheel for a more rigid one, and reduce the tire width from 700x28c to 700x25c, to add some more clearance with the frame.

This upgrade raises some questions:
  1. Can I expect any improvement in the braking efficiency by switching only the front brake to that disc configuration, and keeping rear brake "as is" ?
  2. Will the TRP HY/RD handle the abuse, on long term ? Or should I simply switch to a more rugged mechanical system (TRP Spyre) ?
  3. The tire confiuguration will be quite uncommon: 700x28c front, and 700x25c rear. Is there any drawback to this (apart from aesthetics) ?
  4. Just in case... do you know of any good solution to convert a rim brake system to disc on a carbon frame ? (apart from modifying the frame itself :-) )
Thanks !
Best, Florent