Old 04-14-22, 09:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6284 Post(s)
Liked 4,324 Times in 2,422 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Paraffin oil is kerosene right?
“England and America. Two nations separated by a common language.”

In the UK, “paraffin” is the common name for kerosene. To further muddy the waters, chemists sometimes refer to alkanes as “paraffins”. To even further muddy the waters, chemists (and others) also refer to alkanes with high molecular weight which are solid as paraffin, wax, and paraffin wax. And, if that wasn’t enough to make the waters almost solid mud, we refer to mineral oil (what is in baby oil) as paraffin oil. And there is an oil used for lamps that can be called “paraffin oil”. Jeeze, we are confusing.

In this context, however, “paraffin oil” most likely refers to either mineral oil or, perhaps, lamp oil. Both have higher molecular weights than kerosene. If I were doing this, I’d probably use mineral oil which is a little more viscous* than lamp oil. I might even use Vaseline which is a soft wax rather than a liquid.

*To confuse things even further, “mineral oil” is available in a very wide variety of viscosities from something similar to water (lamp oil) to something more like maple syrup (baby oil) to something resembling honey and even oils thicker than that.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: