View Single Post
Old 04-15-22, 03:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7111 Post(s)
Liked 11,244 Times in 4,803 Posts
"I like your light!"

There was a recent thread about tail lights and their brightness, and several posters insisted that they are nearly impossible to see in daylight -- and that, to have any hope, a person must run a super-bright tail light -- I think one poster was talking about 300 or 350 lumen lights. The argument was rather tame by bf standards, but there was some dispute.

Today I was out riding a regular route. It's only mid-spring, so not super-sunny yet, but it was (for April, anyway) full sun. A vehicle pulled alongside me with the passenger window down, and I thought the driver said "I like your bike!" I thought it rather surprising that an elderly lady appreciated my custom Gunnar gravel bike. But then I realized she was saying "I like your light!" I stopped, and we chatted for a bit. She said she could see the light long before she even could tell that it was attached to a bicycle.

What's the light? An old Cygolite that I've had for five years. 100 lumens.

The really cool thing was connecting with a driver who lives along one of my regular routes. I like having friends out there -- you never know when you'll need one.