View Single Post
Old 04-22-22, 09:20 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
FWIW, I tried Skijoring with my two dogs and my XC skis in my residential neighborhood many years ago. It would have been entertaining for any spectators who happened to see us. My skills were poor and the dogs were crazy undisciplined curs, one of them with little desire to please. My current dog would have been awesome at it when she was young. She always seemed to understand what was desired of her whether by voice command, hand signals, or just reading the situation. She was an amazing trail dog, but now in her senior years has slowed way down. Back in the day when my head lamp failed I could say "show me" and she would run 8' in front of me to keep me on the trail all the way back to the truck. If some one else's dogs would run off, I could say "bring them back" and off she'd go to herd them right back. I could send her off to find a visiting friend who got confused and needed to be led back to the trailhead. If I'd get confused of directions on a hike or run she'd lead me back to the truck. She'd follow intricate hand signals.

She'd run 18 miles with me and want to play fetch when we got home. Now she takes slow walks around the block, takes breaks even doing that, and bosses me around. It sucks to get old so she gets her way pretty much all the time now. She remembers her training but figures she is exempt from following most of it now at 13.
My Siberian Husky lived 12 years. Had no formal training but I think pulling hard and fast was in her DNA. While walking on leash she kept the leash taught at all times. If I thought to do a little jogging and with the least little slack in said leash something just clicked in her brain and it was full gas full speed ahead. I was the only one in the family that had the strength to hold her back until that switch clicked off, but she could gleefully snap all but the strongest restraints. Everybody else would just let go and without that resistance she would just run circles around us til we got back to the fenced yard.