View Single Post
Old 04-24-22, 02:18 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Basso Arrenacia, 2001 Soma Smoothie

Liked 217 Times in 53 Posts
Today I headed east on the Powerline Trail. No idea why it's called that.

It's been a while since I've gone this far east. I remember seeing this bridge over some railroad tracks under construction near central Gilbert last year. There used to be a ridiculous sign with a map suggesting MUP users detour a mile south to the nearest signaled crossing on a busy road. Of course everyone ignored the sign and crossed the rarely-used tracks right there. Well, now the bridge is done and everyone is safe, I guess.

There's not much elevation change here, so the view is very exciting... OK, a little exciting.

I was on my '86 Schwinn Prelude. I originally had 38mm Gravelkings, which I hated. They rode nice but were so incredibly flat-prone, and they wore out twice as fast as any tire I've ever had. Now it's 3,000 miles later on Schwalbe Marathon Plus without any flats, which is saying a lot in Arizona. Ride quality is far from cushy, but it beats fixing flat tires all the time.

I went all the way out to the eastern edge of Gilbert and headed back on Williams Field, where the city expands ever outward. It's dairy farms and alfalfa fields, then bam, luxury apartments and townhomes.

Everything's going up with the speed of a Hollywood movie set.

None of this was here the last time I came this way.