View Single Post
Old 04-25-22, 01:55 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4547 Post(s)
Liked 5,055 Times in 3,122 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
That was not my point at all. My point is not what other people would think of my bike.

I was merely commenting on the fact that most people seem to want or need the latest and greatest, which surprised me. It is also a comment that this pervasive attitude I think turns a lot of potential cyclists off from the sport, which would be a shame. I have seen this first hand, where some friends or colleagues wouldn;t partake in these kinds of events because they don't have a carbon road bike.
But you have already stated that it doesn't put you off going to these events personally. Okay I get that you may have a few anecdotal stories of friends not wanting to show up because they don't think their bike is good enough. But let's be realistic, these are not the sort of people who would be going to big bike events anyway. I know plenty of people with older bikes who don't give a monkeys what everyone else is riding (just like you)

So what's your proposed solution? A ban on expensive bikes at bike events? Am I supposed to turn up on an old bike just on the off-chance one of your friends might be put off entering?

Last edited by PeteHski; 04-25-22 at 01:59 PM.