Old 05-16-22, 09:50 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
UPDATE:
1-Muscle bikes, mostly Schwinn Stingrays, from $700 to $2,000. Probably 75-100 on site. I didn't see any sell, but I wasn't paying attention. Parts for same were higher than comparable C&V parts.

2-Highwheelers/Pennyfarthings, etc. One for sale, it was a 52" and was $4800. They are pretty cool. Half the wheel diameter, converted to cm, is about a 62cm, and you have to add some for the distance to the saddle (which is not a lot more). They had none my size.

3-Cruisers are big, and were not overly expensive. Patina is much more prevalent. There were probably 75 cruisers there. Most were rusty old bikes, IMO, but this genre has its own rules, etc. It was certainly interesting.

4-70's to 80's road bikes, very few. Maybe 20, including 5 of mine. I further pursued a chance to buy something from the large cache belonging to a local, and he's pretty much not interested in selling any. They are not being ridden, or on display, but I'm sure he has plans for them. I did see one sell that had been re-wrapped in woodgrain. That was interesting, with light bronze DiaCompe.

5-The era from about 1920 to 1960 was pretty popular, a couple of 2-speeds, some interesting brake systems (disc rears), etc. A "Hopalong Cassidy" sold for $40, with riveted saddlebags, etc, and that surprised me.

6-A stack of 700x23 tires for free went completely unclaimed, as did 27.5 MTB tires. I did manage to give away a 700x28 Gatorskin, and sold a NIB KMC chain for $10. That bought my lunch.

It was a very interesting morning, as some vendors were all about bike tools, some just parts, some just frames. I was especially interested in their transportation, and came upon a truck bought and built just for this hobby, and got some tips. The vendors are still bike people, fun and cordial. I turned down a $1400 carbon tubed Alan/Guerciotti with C-Record and a look ErgoStem. My bikes brought interest, but the overall swap meet was more like a reunion of old friends and the bikes were there to talk about. That was fine with me. There was a coffee shop across the street, the whole thing was free.

I made an offer on a mid-60's VW pickup with the swing-down sides, rusted out on the bed lowers, turned down flat, which I expected. My visions of extensive bodywork, a military-style bed cover, and a 914 pancake motor went unfulfilled. I left my name and number just in case.

Great breakfast at a local restaurant with almost non-existent service, but good nonetheless. Basically, Cracker Barrel less 40%.

Coming home, I experienced returning Ozark lake traffic for the first time, in rain, at 80 mph. Combining 18-wheelers with varying horsepower, towed campers and boats, rain, long hills, and F1 wannabes was interesting. I saw one accident happen directly behind me, fully expecting the spinning Suburban to hit me in the rear, but they got stopped just in time to get t-boned by a minivan, which then opened the R/F door and that was taken off by the car going around it. That particular car kept going and passed me, apparently not worried about the front end damage and any investigation.

I'll probably go again in the fall.

Originally Posted by bamboobike4

Last edited by bamboobike4; 05-16-22 at 09:58 AM.
Likes For bamboobike4: