View Single Post
Old 05-16-22, 11:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Often tapping the brakes can be seen as passive aggressive while putting on flashers doesn’t have that connotation - instead, danger ahead. I think most people have been “brake-checked” on time or another.

When I was driving on the autobahn, if there was a sudden unforeseen slowdown, German drivers turn on their flashers (while braking) to notify that this is a sudden slow down or stop. I thought that made a ton of sense. I drive primarily on two lane highways with speeds from 50-60 MPH, and if there is someone turning off and slowing quickly, I now flip on my flashers to notify the vehicle behind me something is happening. Whether they understand or not is up to their perceptiveness. Troul’s idea is also a wiener.

Yeah, I can see how the brake tap could be read as a brake check if done too closely. I do think it's just a little easier to do than putting on the hazards (maybe a fraction of a second difference in how long it takes to move your hand to push the button vs. moving your foot from the gas pedal)), so I suspect there's situations where each of them is the better alternative.

TBH, I've never thought of putting on the flashers under these circumstances, so I'm grateful to you guys for adding to the repertory of responses.
Likes For livedarklions: