Old 05-17-22, 04:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,103 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Remember these are in 'constant' 2012 dollars. That is if you bought a bike for $1000 in 2012 and then a new bike for $1200 in 2022 this chart would show you spent 5% less in 2022 on bicycles then in 2012 as the cumulative rate of inflation for the last 10 years is ~26%. The rate of decline from 1Q21 to 1Q22 is just over 9%, a few points higher than consumer inflation. But my anecdotal experience for 2021 was that the price for bicycles increased at a fairly quick pace and I got sticker shock looking at new bikes last fall. It would interesting to put this chart against the # of bicycles and bicycle stuff actually sold to see if people are buying bikes at about the same rate and the chart is actually showing you how steeply prices have increased in the last year.

I don't know how typical is, but bikesdirect prices have dropped a lot in the last few months. Keep in mind that one of the things that happened during the pandemic was a near collapse of the shipping system, with items like bicycles getting stuck on ships and at ports for weeks at great cost to the retailers.