Old 05-21-22, 04:32 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Have spent the last several weeks doing a full nut and bolt restoration/refurb on the '87 Schwinn Voyageur that I picked up off the Berkely CL when we were out in California for Eroica. The CL pickup was a story in itself.
After putting it all back together shiny and clean, decided to address the one major aspect I dislike about this Voyageur iteration: the brakes. Or rather, the 'speed attenuation suggestion appliances'. Regardless of how well they are adjusted, they simply do not perform up to my expectations/riding style. After a bunch of weaseling and measuring, determined that Tektro 539 nutted calipers would slip right in behind the original canti mounts and attend to the original Wolber 27" rims, which are now shod with new Pasela's. When paired with the bars, stem and Shimano SLR style levers seen in the pic below, the bike now actually stops well. Foolishness will continue.

Very nice, Doc. Remind me to park mine on the other side of the earth from yours. Mine looks just like yours - if you rode it thru mud then dumped a load of 2A modified on it, dug it out then lashed skanky racks and toe straps to it. Otherwise, pretty much the same

I recently dragged mine behind the car up to near Easton, PA to explore the Palmer Township trail. A very enjoyable trip, a combination of beautiful trail sections, lots of shade, easy and difficult/dangerous road crossings, glass smooth pavement and badly rooted pavement and an interesting l-o-n-g decent to the Lehigh River connecting to the D&L trail then the Lehigh canal. Glad to have Google Maps with bicycling turned on as the trail signage was poor, missing or wrong. But I got it done.

Of course that long decent became a long accent but, surprisingly, this old fool just put his head down, focused and cranked right up the whole thing in “one go”. WHAT? Where did that come from? Then, as fate would have it, I flatted about 2 miles from the car. First front wheel flat in ages.* But I was well prepared and rolling again in about 20 minutes. Around 30 miles all together.

* crashed, of course, but no damage.
Likes For Prowler: