View Single Post
Old 05-23-22, 05:32 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 3,831 Times in 673 Posts
A multi sport day..

Sunday was likely the last day of skiing this season and the weather was very cooperative so why not celebrate it with a multi-sport day? I packed my skis and my bike and headed up to Crystal Mountain Resort.

All geared up and ready to hit the slopes..

Multi Sport Day by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The snow started off firm and chunky but softened up nicely as the sun warmed things up. Classic spring skiing. Started off doing laps on groomed runs while the sun did it’s work on the front side. Within an hour, the softened corn snow off piste was ripe for the picking.

Going up REX by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Once the snow starts to get mushy and sticky it’s time for the last run of the season, stay close to the trees where there’s some shadows and ride the slushy bumps until the snow peters out near the resort base.

Picked my way down Lower Ferks for last run by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

I was wearing my bike clothes under the ski pants so it’s a simple change back at the car into my bike shoes and off I go to ride over Cayuse Pass.
A fast descent from the ski area down to the Mount Rainier National Park entrance where I duck under the “Road Closed” gate and begin the ascent to Cayuse Pass.

Put the skis away and headed into the park by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

My mind wanders as I look at the Mountains ahead, plotting ski lines down their slopes.

really pleasant temperatures by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The snowpack deepens rather suddenly about a mile from the pass summit.

The snow builds up rather quickly in the last mile to the pass summit by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Cayuse is reached and the road going from there up to Chinook Pass is chained off - closed to hikers and bikers due to high Avalanche risk. Park Rangers are there to ensure no one goes past the chains. I drop down the other side of Cayuse to get some more riding in.
It is noticeably cooler here and the snowpack, deeper. I descend several miles to the tunnel that I make my turn around spot.

Down the backside of Cayuse by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

My turn around point by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Then begin the long climb back up to Cayuse Pass
A peek a boo view of Rainier by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Another long descent down Cayuse Pass to the Park entrance and one last climb back up to the ski area and it’s time for a past ride lunch on the resort patio….

lunch on the patio back at Crystal Mountain Base by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr