Old 05-25-22, 02:11 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
TCP is designed to be reliable, that does not mean UDP was designed with the opposite in mind. but you are right, applications are to accept that fact and deal with missing frames. and the problem with this type of missing frame is that it might have gotten lost way before it even got to your router/computer. heck, the source of it may not even have sent it.
That's kind of my problem in trying to track down where it is occurring to prevent it from happening again. In the last month or so, I've also had issues with websites occasionally needing to be reloaded (sometimes several times) before they will actually load on both my zwift computer (connected to a mesh router) and the computer that is connected via ethernet cable to my router, which is connected via ethernet cable to my modem, and this never used to happen (oddly, it doesn't seem to happen on tablets connected via wifi or streaming sticks or other smart devices).

That makes me think the problem (if it's related to the UDP dropout that appears to have led to 2 race finishes not being registered) is either at the level of my router, my modem, or upstream of my house (once I replaced my ethernet cables and ruled them out as the problem).

What I need to to next diagnostically (assuming the page reload requirement issue is related to the UDP dropouts), is bypass the router and directly connect my computer to the modem for the one computer that is within reach of ethernet cables and determine if that causes the problem to go away. My router (Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000) is only just over a year old (so just out of warranty), so I hope that's not the problem. If I can show it's upstream of the router, I can complain to my cable company and see if it's the modem (also a bit over a year old).