Old 05-27-22, 10:20 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil.Travel
I'm planning on bike packing Peru in the near future. My plan is to take the Toronto international airport to Cusco, travel across Peru, and finish my trip around Trujillo. From what I can gather, you can purchase a bike box from the Toronto airport for the trip there. Where I'm hitting a wall is the trip back. I'm thinking I'll use the international airport in Chiclayo to return to Toronto, but I can neither find what their policy is on bike packaging, or whether they sell the appropriate packaging.

I already have a bike which I want to use for this trip. I have it customized to my ergonomic preferences, set up for heavy cargo on the front, back, and middle, I'm used to how it handles, etc. I'm aware that I could buy a bike when in Peru, but I would really rather not. I thought of mailing the Bike box from the Cusco airport to the one in Chiclayo, but I don't know exactly how long it will take me to complete my route, (I want to go at my own pace. I might stay in some places longer or not, improvise and go off my planned route, I don't know. I don't want to commit to a strict schedule) and I don't want to get fined for storage fees, if that's a thing.

Any advice and information on how to approach this is welcome. This will be my first time going on this kind of journey.

Edit: I'm not interested in renting a bike either, for the reasons listed above.
I have done numerous one-way trips and faced the same challenge. If a box is not readily available most airlines have large clear plastic bags to place your bike in. Remove the pedals and turn the bars, will usually also remove the front wheel and tape to the frame. Never had an issue with damage, probably because the baggage handlers see what is in the bag and treat it better than what looks like another piece of oversized luggage.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged: