Old 05-29-22, 04:30 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 770 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
if you're still thinking about mailing your box from the starting point, either flatten it and mail it to a hotel you've got booked and can arrange for storage or send it to yourself at the main post office in trujillo, poste restante. post office should hold a box for minimum thirty days with no storage fees.....possibly longer if you write a note on it..........in the local language.
If you are going to mail a box ahead, maybe consider using a soft case. I have used an inexpensive one (Transit brand from Nashbar or Performance, often on sale for $39.99). When empty it folds quite small for shipping. I do add some extra cardboard for protection, but wouldn't include that while mailing that ahead. If cardboard isn't handy some clothing, a foam sleeping pad or whatever can be use to protect the bike a bit extra.

There are other soft cases. Some are heavier duty and sleeker looking. I chose this one because it was cheap and packed small for shipping empty. That suited my needs well. You don't need to get many uses out of it before it is worth the low price especially if you buy it on sale and it seems to perpetually be on sale. It costs less than some purpose built cardboard boxes.

Last edited by staehpj1; 05-29-22 at 02:18 PM.