View Single Post
Old 05-29-22, 05:19 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 699 Posts
Beater single-speed build thread

Yesterday I stopped in at the LBS (Bikes and Boards of Greenwood, SC). In the course of a rambling chat with the new owner, I mentioned I was keeping my eyes peeled for an old rigid MTB. We stepped into the back room, and over behind some stuff I saw this 1992 Trek 820.

“Oh, that - a guy brought it in a while back and wanted me to put brakes and drive parts on it. When I called him back with the quote, he said ‘keep it.’. I’m gonna scrap it, but if you want it, it’s yours.”

So I brought it home, and today in a frenzy of misprioritization I set to work. I had bars, stem, bar ends, a set of Alivio cantis and a set of Altus levers from a long-gone Bianchi Ocelot and other salvaged bikes. I had cables and housing recycled from other projects. The ONLY hitch is finding a 34T middle chainring for the 4-bolt Shimano FC-950 crank, and some single-ring bolts for it.

I haven’t had a single-speed mountain bike since I foolishly sold my old ‘89 Trek 950 a few years back. This approximates the build, but so far for free …

Looks better after. wipe down.

Since 1/4 of the teeth were already gone I snapped the remaining teeth with some channel lock pliers - I’ll fit it down into a chain guard later.