View Single Post
Old 05-30-22, 11:15 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Mrs. John likes the true crime shows. They go into detail about how the young woman was tortured and murdered, how she was found, etc. Makes me sick.
She also loves watching reruns of "Medium" in syndication. Lots of brutality toward women and semi-graphic depictions of murders and torture. I don't get it and find it very disturbing.

OTOH I find movies like "Die Hard with a Vengeance" or "The Equalizer" to be entertaining.
A layer of fiction can make a big difference. Watching GoT with all its horror? A-OK. Fake people, fun-house-mirror version of long-ago history. Top Gun? Fighter jets for entertainment? Not working for me (ditto games like Ace Combat) anymore.

However, even re-enacted "this woman was brutally murdered as so:"? Yeah, I can see that. I'm good with true crime podcasts, but not sure about the shows.

Meanwhile, it's specific enough that if I watch 24 I get action-movie nightmares and wake up exhausted. OTOH, Die Hard, Bond, Expendables... nothing like that has the effect. Only 24. It's weird.

Last edited by Bah Humbug; 05-30-22 at 11:18 AM.