Old 06-13-22, 09:39 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4867 Post(s)
Liked 4,024 Times in 2,614 Posts
I haven't read all the posts so all of this may have been suggested already;

For simple, reliable stoppers, I use older Shimano dual pivots (both picked up used with no model name), new Tektro short pull levers, decent housing; full length for the rear and Koolstp pads. Now, I like to ride the drops. This setup gives me too much power while there so I actually de-power the brakes on these bikes with long pull Tektro levers, OP, don't do this! It isn't great braking on the tops; your preferred hand location but it is sweet when you hit that 25 mph tight and blind corner on a 45 mph descent!

So, my simple (and not very expensive) brakes work so well I de-power them to reduce skidding and lifting the rear wheel on emergency stops. In traffic, these work really well. The Tektro levers are medium quality and don't last forever but the design is excellent, they work very,very well until they tire out and my hands love 'em. At $40 new, I can't really complain about the lifespan. (The pair on my avatar bike have most of 20,000 miles and are doing fine. That works for me.) I think the Shimano calipers will last through my next lifetime. I'd have no qualms using new Shimano or Campy (or even Tektro) calipers. I haven't simply because the dual pivot calipers that were an older model when I got them 15 years ago are doing just fine and I could hardly ask for better stopping.
Likes For 79pmooney: