View Single Post
Old 06-14-22, 09:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,113 Times in 2,746 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
So, how do you avoid cross-chaining if you do?
You just know it is pretty easy if I am in the biggest ring and find myself needing easier and easier gears it is a good sign I need to move to a smaller ring. If I am in my smaller ring and find myself needing harder and harder gears I know it is time to move to my larger ring. Obviously if you are in a race you may not think about it but a more casual ride you can. Having noise or not having noise doesn't matter so much but in the end everything is stretched out to the limits so in the end you are causing more wear for no real sensible reason. You will know at least where you are at on your front chainring and if not then learn which feels harder and which feels easier and you will be able to shift better very quickly.

I think the only bike I own with gear indication is my Rohloff E-14 equipped bike but that has a display and would automatically show it anyway. A lot of gear indicators I see tend to be broken or not very functional and even so it still won't warn me if I am cross chaining it will just move a little indicator one way or the other.
Likes For veganbikes: