Old 06-22-22, 04:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4598 Post(s)
Liked 5,142 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by bocobiking
Science can and does make changes in technology. But what science cannot do is create an objective value for these changes. Creating value is the domain of each individual human; value is subjective; what constitutes progress is subjective. There is no telling how a particular individual will experience these pictures; there is no telling what that individual wants in his cycling experience. The latest carbon fiber is not objectively better than a 1974 Schwinn Paramount.
If that were true then bicycle (and any other technical product) development would be a lot more random than it actually is. Individuals of a certain age might well have a sentimental preference for products of a specific era, but the newer products are objectively better. From a nostalgic point of view I do "value" iconic bikes from the 1970s an 80s (TI Raleigh for example), but I'm not going to pretend their outdated tech is on a par with their modern equivalents. Some people seem to live in denial when it comes to technological progress.

Disc brakes in general simply function better than rim brakes and that's why rim brakes are becoming obsolete. It has nothing to do with "Big bike" marketing. It's just simple engineering evolution.
So what comes after disc brakes in this evolutionary process? Is there a known wheel braking mechanism inherently better than the hydraulic disc brake and caliper? Based on what we see in the automotive industry, I would say not at this point. Certainly not in mainstream production anyway.
Likes For PeteHski: