View Single Post
Old 06-22-22, 10:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Can you provide further details about how an interested helmet purchaser can easily determine if the helmet in the store is "Certified by independent testing" for MIPs or any other safety criteria other than by stickers from the Snell Foundation. Does VA Tech or any other "independent" testing agency, besides Snell provide "certification" test results to the public, or sell their blessings, ratings and or a "certification" label to the manufacturers yet?

MIPS certifies. It says it on the box, MIPs also has a yellow sticker on the helmet itself. These certifications are listed on the product info on the websites (how I found out the Specialized helmets are now MIPS certified, BTW).

Otherwise, I have no idea what you are arguing or why I should care to engage with you on it. You're just as capable of figuring out what information is public as I am, and VA Tech publishes its ratings and rankings on its website.

You're free to see as much or as little value in independent testing as you care to. But you don't get to make crazy claims that Snell is the only entity doing it.

Here, knock yourself out:
"Seyffarth says any helmet available on the market with the MIPS yellow dot has been tested by the company and passed the standards it requires for release.“Whenever we are releasing or approving a helmet for production, we have an internal protocol where we require at least a 10 per cent reduction in strain in every impact location, every helmet and every size.

“But that’s the minimum. We see everything from 10.1 per cent to 75 per cent reduction in strain. I would say the most common is somewhere in the area of 25 to 30 per cent reduction in strain.”"
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy.../what-is-mips/

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-22-22 at 10:51 AM.