View Single Post
Old 06-22-22, 08:41 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you find that website confusing, you probably shouldn't accuse anyone else of a reading comprehension problem.

You're essentially asking others to explain things that are all over the internet. There's a word for that. Starts with L, ends with Y.
Do you just come in to threads and post in an attempt to make yourself feel better by trying to run others down? I've run into people like you before. You're what is often referred to as "toxic". Please feel free to not contribute in my threads. Believe it or not, you're already there.

For reference, you might want to check out the post below if you would like an example of someone actually providing helpful information.
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Generally speaking, as you look at the various groupsets they become lighter and shift better as they become more expensive. Whether the additional costs say between 105 and DuraAce are worth it (or even noticeable) to you is something you have to find out for yourself.
Ive met many good riders who are more than happy with “one-step-down” groupsets for the riding they do.
Ya, I'm no where near a competitive rider, so top shelf is wasted on me. However, I do want the best quality for what I'm doing. I prefer to only buy something one time, when the budget allows. And along that vein, I'd rather buy something that's a little more robust with the belief that it is going to last beyond my riding days, than to save a few extra grams of weight.
I still really don't know the difference between Sora and Claris though. On the Shimano site, they kind of have very similar descriptions. They seem to be advertised as more "entry level". So why the difference? Is one more "entry level" than the other?
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Your question is big with info.
Your question also depends what year your current components were manufactured.

"Entry Level" is also ambiguous. Entry level for racing? For recreation only?
For road cycling, the hierarchy from most expensive to least expensive and from racing to recreation continuums, would be:

Dura Ace
Ultegra
Tiagra
Sora
Claris
Tourney

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...-need-to-know/
Ya, see. That's what I'm talking about. Shimano is in the business of selling their product. Nothing wrong with that. But I can't expect Shimano to tell me, "this product sucks, buy that one." Unless, of course, it's the more expensive one. Once again, not bagging on them for it, that's business. Just looking for someone with real world experience and knowledge to break it down.

From what I gather, Tourney seems to be more MTN bike equpment, whereas Tiagra, Sora and Claris look to be road bike stuff. But from the descriptions I've read there's very little difference in the three.