Old 06-23-22, 05:20 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4547 Post(s)
Liked 5,059 Times in 3,122 Posts
Originally Posted by bocobiking

Anyway, if we step back a minute from this reverence for progress, we might have a little more understanding of people who see the Raleigh bike as simpler, more lively, more fun than the newest jet age carbon bikes. Your linear list of pictures implies that every bike except the last one must be relegated to a past age and is irrelevant today. The only people who would like such bikes are scared of change; and people especially paranoid about change are over 65. Leaving aside your obvious patronizing of anyone who disagrees with you, I might suggest that people over 65 have lived long enough to see the ups and downs of the history and technology of the last century and are a little skeptical that our world--and the bicycle--are getting better and better. It's possible they enjoy more what they have instead of restlessly becoming dissatisfied and trying to move into some chimeric golden future.
This is entirely YOUR implication, not mine. I've already explained to you that I enjoy both old and new things. They are not mutually exclusive in my view. I also fully understand the big picture i.e. civilisations and their technological progress tend to rise and fall in the long term. We just happen to live in an age of rapidly accelerating technology, totally unprecedented in the entire history of the world. But to talk about the evolution of bicycle rim to disc brakes on this scale is frankly absurd.

So anyway now you are saying that once I reach the age of 65 I need to stop looking forward to new things and enjoy what I have? Am I not allowed to do both?
Likes For PeteHski: