View Single Post
Old 07-07-22, 06:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10632 Post(s)
Liked 12,254 Times in 6,283 Posts
Well, THAT was a whole lot of no fun!

One reason I went to work today, despite feeling slightly less than perfect, was an important meeting. My boss (VP of Cell Biology and Immunology), the guy I've worked for for the last 14 years took another job, and HIS boss, the Chief Scientific Officer is retaking the reins of Research. He's s good guy, but my old boss and I were really simpatico. This was the first meeting on a particular project for a couple months, and I wanted to make sure we impressed him favorably.

Because he, like most of our company, is in Maryland, the meeting was by Zoom. So I was in my office. Before the meeting, my office started feeling a trifle cool, so I put on the big flannel shirt I keep there for just such an occasion. During the meeting - which went pretty well for my group, I thought - I started feeling colder despite the extra shirt. Then I started shivering. I did manage to keep a quaver out of my voice, but I did worry that I was visibly shivering.

Now? I feel hot, and achy, and like I got punched hard in both upper arms. I feel all 85 of my 64 years.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles