Old 07-08-22, 06:04 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,798 Times in 963 Posts
I am a vintage bike enthusiast and have owned only one new bike in the past twenty years, a full suspension mountain bike. It was, by the way, great. That said, I do not, necessarily, buy into the old is better than the new.

I find the movie author to be too biased. Many of his arguments do hold water but vintage bikes are not, in my opinion, better than not vintage bikes. That said, many will argue that my 2000 Marinoni falls into the vintage category. If so, fair enough but it is a heck of a lot newer than my other bikes.

If I am looking for the best riding bike in my little collection, this 2000 Marinoni is, absolutely, the most comfortable bike that I own. In my experience and opinion with its Brifter transmission, ergonomic saddle, ergonomic handlebar, SPD pedals, wide gear range, solid side pull brakes, comfortable saddle and lightness, wins hands down...

over this vintage Torpado...

or this vintage Legnano...

The Marinoni is easier to use. Safer to use, Faster than anything else in my collection. And, personally, I am a fan of the aesthetics. All that said, I cannot comment on a new bike's virtues. The author is right, I cannot afford one but I am not so sure that a new bike will not be around, and thought to be vintage, twenty years from today.