View Single Post
Old 07-14-22, 09:59 AM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I don;t have any tours planned for the near future that are likely to warrant a new bike purchase. I really don't expect to do anything before the fall at the soonest and that is likely to be less than two weeks long on one of my 30+ year old bikes (by choice).

My next month long or multi month trip, assuming I manage another one at my age, I had thought I might treat myself to a nice carbon fiber gravel bike with high end components. Then I looked at the spec for the various models... I have always been fond of Cannondale bikes so I tended to look there. Splurging for something $4k or more didn't seem out of the question, but looking at the specs for the alloy models that might be less than half that I have to wonder if they wouldn't be as good as or maybe even a better fit for the task at hand. Some of the Topstone alloy choices look like a pretty good fit for my needs and a budget price. It looks very versatile, but many of my needs seem to be in a sweet spot for it.
Well, like you, I'm frugal (cheapass!)! But fortunately I married much better than I deserve and she makes me spend on stuff I want. I'm so happy with my Custom Pinion Ti tourer that I use it for daily commute and fitness as well. I only use my CF road bike on my weekly group rides with friends. There are now Ti tourers like Litespeed, or if you feel like being a rebel, the Chinese brands like custom builders Waltly, which come under 5k. Add carbon bits and the ride is very nice for a non-suspension bike.
A Ti frame may not be as aero, but fit is especially important if you are going touring off road and require 50+mm tire clearance. A CF tourer is fine for US travel, but any international remote travel is a bit more risky when you factor in damage, which is trip ending. Ti is tougher on falls etc. But yeah... spend it while you can! haha