Old 07-17-22, 05:48 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Keeping your body from moving forward over the bars by countering with your muscles while you brake in an emergency Is also a major point of weight transfer..
I've been waiting for someone to go in this direction, and this comes close. Since in a hard stop the rider's weight is transferred forward increasing the risk of going over the bars, the rider can lift their butt off the saddle and shift it rearward. This moves the center of gravity back and reduces the tendency of the rear tire to lift off the pavement. Watch a mountain bike rider braking on a steep downhill... their belly button is practically on the saddle. This is a useful maneuver to practice on a road bike as well. If it's a familiar maneuver, it will come naturally in an emergency.

I remember learning to ride a motorcycle 50 years ago; one of my instructors said that the purpose of the rear wheel under hard deceleration is to provide just enough drag to keep the bike going in the desired direction. At another learning experience with off-road motorcycles the mnemonic for throttle action was "ON for control; OFF for traction". Also, "When in doubt, GAS it!"
As others have noted, the OP may *think* his rear brake provides enough stopping power... but at any reasonable road speed the front brake is the one to depend on.
Likes For sweeks: