View Single Post
Old 07-27-22, 10:27 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Liked 2,322 Times in 1,220 Posts
Originally Posted by sayn3ver
I know that it depends and that anything could really work.

I suppose as someone who has never toured and has never run errands on a bike that I was more wondering from those with experience where a good starting point is.

for me I am looking for something

1) cheap
2) not flashy
3) comfortable

my carbon road bike is for workouts and fast.

I am looking for something to do the 1/2-2 mile ride, that just works and I won't be upset if it gets stolen.

I don't need fast.

I want proper gearing. I'd rather spin then lug.

im unsure if a trailer or racks would be better. My son is three and I'm unsure how large or small kids can be to ride in those trailers. But that seems like a dual purpose bonus of a used trailer.

I could see using racks or bags most of the time vs a trailer for food since my wife would still be doing our base shopping via car once a week.

but we often run out of things or prefer to pickup some things the day of and we have a super market in town that's too far to walk (time wise for making this a true life style change).

I just wasn't sure if the majority have found certain styles to be a better starter setup, or if certain styles Don't function with accessories like racks and fenders.

I am a male fwiw around 6'1 so I'm not sure if that makes a difference for recommendations or not.
Vintage full rigid MTB. You'll find plenty with rack and fender mounts, v-brakes are bombproof and leave room for fenders. Typically triples with plenty of gear range, simple grip shifters, 8 speed or so components are dirt cheap. Probably getting harder to find, or will need a complete overhaul if found. Opportunistic thieves will steal anything, but a rim-brake rigid steel 26" wheel MTB isn't on anyone's list to steal and part out. Early Specialized Hardrock (rigid fork) is a good example. You can run 1.25" slicks, hybrid tires, MTB tires, which is like 3 different bikes.
Likes For downtube42: