View Single Post
Old 07-30-22, 07:42 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Liked 638 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
Yesterday I heard traffic coming so I applied my front brake. I heard a strange noise like a guitar string breaking and my bike did not stop ...
Glad you made it through okay.

Had something like that occur, back when I was a teen-aged kid. Twenty-five mph and somebody didn't look before stepping in front of me. The rear brake's cable snapped, the front brake was all that was left ... there went the front wheel and I laid the bike down.

Two things I try to always do, these days: keep the brake's in top condition, with relatively frequent cable changes, regular maintenance, and daily eval of the brakes' condition; and, to never approaching an intersection where I cannot see all directions, without slowing to a very safe speed such that if something does happen I won't get splattered.

Has saved my bacon more than once, over the years. Never did want to lay it down again, after that first debacle. Didn't have full use of the arm for months, afterward. Was lucky I didn't land on my head, as I didn't wear a helmet back in those days. North of 50yrs of age, myself, I can no longer afford to be so unconcerned with how I approach that light comin' around the bend (as I often did, as a "pup").