Thread: Bike lighting
View Single Post
Old 08-10-22, 07:26 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by jgrosser
I'm wondering what people think about this: Recently, during a daytime ride on a rural hiker/biker trail, my group was scolded twice for riding with blinking headlights. In each case, we were warned that blinking lights could cause seizures in people with epilepsy. Later, I did some research, and it seems that the estimated number of people in the US with photosensitive epilepsy is approximately 30,000. Thus, in a country of 330 million people, it seems that the likelihood of encountering a person with photosensitive epilepsy is pretty slim. I prefer a blinking headlight for an all-day ride because the battery lasts longer.

Any thoughts on prevailing attitudes towards the use of blinking lights in respect to risks to people with photosensitive epilepsy?

Thanks.
Go ahead and use what makes you feel comfortable. Anti-vaxxers were opposed to the Covid vaccines eventhough the side effects have a lot lower risk than getting the same side effects from covid.

If blinking lights are a real problem, someone would be working in making them illegal. Until then, use them if you want.
Likes For Daniel4: