View Single Post
Old 08-11-22, 04:52 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 266 Posts
A few other thoughts rattling around in my head, in no particular order of importance, relevance, or significance:

I'll probably never embrace a thru axle design if I can find a way around it. My son has one on his mountain bike fork; it appears to be a solution looking for a problem. In our experience, it is a major pain to put his bike on the roof rack. You have to balance and align the fork on the adapter while pushing the axle through, then try to line up the threads so you can bolt the whole shebang together. I guess we could buy a hitch mounted rack that doesn't require you to pull the front wheel. But then I'd have to install a hitch on my car! Or a roof tray that clamps on to the down tube.... No thanks!

26" wheels aren't dead (yet, anyway). Tire selection isn't horrible (yet, anyway), but the selection at the LBS is very limited. Gone are the days of walking in and buying just exactly the tire you hoped for. Rather you have to order it online and wait a week or more. Or settle for what the LBS has in stock that will work okay.... And rim selection? Where do you buy nice rims these days?

I'm not entirely sold on disc brakes. I've experienced them on my aforementioned Curtlo (built in 2003) and have been underwhelmed by them. Granted, they are 1st generation XTR (M960), but it seems the pads wear out quickly and they require a lot more maintenance than V or cantilever brakes. They've probably gotten better in the past 19 years.

I like my 3 x 9 drivetrains. I don't often use the granny gear. Except on my Curtlo mtb, but then on that one I never use the 44t ring either. My one hybrid (700c wheels) that I also use for touring has an 11x36 9 speed cassette and a 20/32/44 crankset. That 20x36 is so slow I can barely keep my balance, but it does enable me to keep pedaling rather than walk. The front shifting on all my bikes, whether they be 3x9 or 3x8 or 3x7, is flawless. I think the only reason manufacturers went with 1x or 2x is to move the chain further from the centerline of the bike, thus enabling obscenely fat tires. Maybe I'm wrong. Getting an affordable, alloy carrier 9 speed cassette will be getting difficult in the not too distant future. My Curtlo, with its XTR hubs, requires that kind thanks to the titanium freehub body. Is there a way to future proof a bike? I tend to keep my stuff forever and am generally dragged into the next advancement kicking and screaming....

So with all of that said, I'm having a hard time seeing what major advantage a new BC (or any other new bike, for that matter) has over what I already own, for my riding purposes. Maybe parts availability?