Old 08-18-22, 04:14 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
1 old and no longer made device out of all the ones you have get futched up and that bothers you?

Seems like Garmin's offer was decent. While not too terribly different in feature set, a Garmin 1030+ will amaze you with how much faster it is at doing most anything.
You may not agree, but when a $500 item is defective, the offer of spending another $500 after discount does not seem decent. It implies they want me to make the same mistake (or leap of $500) faith twice, while acknowledging the defect.

I can make the same mistake for $200 less with a different brand. I did find a new Elemnt Bolt by Wahoo, deeply discounted on an outlet site. I took that $96 leap, and will await the results. If it pans out, I’ll get another.

The Varia HL, not cheap either, has stopped turning on/off. Reviews indicate there are issues with the non/off switch, which is the same as the one on the Edge 1000.

So, in the middle of an 18-day biking trip, I’ll let my +1 use my Edge 1000 and my Varia HL. A HL is required in an event on Saturday, due to a 5:30 am start. I brought my Garmin UT-800 headlight as a backup. I don’t feel a cyclo that expensive should need a backup, nor a HL, and I certainly feel the manufacturer should stand behind their product. This is not an isolated incident, which is why I easily found five examples for sale on eBay. I have no idea how many more of the same failures were simply accepted by the owners.

$500 may be the latest disposable threshold, perhaps.

I’m not a Trek fan, but their warranty service to my friends has been exemplary. Garmin could take note.