Old 08-18-22, 06:37 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26479 Post(s)
Liked 10,444 Times in 7,246 Posts
Originally Posted by AirChair
While yeah they are polished pretty well from the manufacturer, but the thing is im trying to polish them to a mirror finish, will it improve my riding no, but thats not the point. These Parts come anodized from the factory meaning to polish them you have to get that initial anodization off using either Chemicals or just abrading them away. Using things like oven cleaner makes it pretty easy and quick but i don't want the little ball bearings for which you cant buy any replacement to be ruined(as they are plastic) and if i would go the long route of sanding through the anodization i feel like i would fill those moving pivot points with tons of small aluminium particles which would work as abrasives. So thats why im trying so hard to get the nut off. Also im kind of a perfectionist when it comes to my bike in a way that i just love working on it understanding every part and wanting it to be perfect, in the same way like someone who restores junk old timers.

...thanks for your reply. I'm not going to sit here and type out some argument, but anodizing got put on there for some pretty good reasons. And once you strip it off and polish your calipers, they will immediately begin to form the aluminum oxide coating that will eventually defeat your effort at a mirror surface, without regular maintenance. Best wishes with your project. I hope it comes out like a chrome Paramount.

I know that there are people on this forum who insist on removing the factory lubricant on a new chain, so they can get it "properly lubed". I am not one of these people.