Old 08-27-22, 09:08 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3856 Post(s)
Liked 1,077 Times in 814 Posts
The problem with the health industry is that they focus too much on cardio exercise for fitness. Bikes are great, I've been riding as my primary form of transportation since the mid-80's and that combined with my love of running and hiking has given me a really good aerobic base. Although much of my cardio conditioning comes from periods of intense cardio exercise, another form of exercise the health industry doesn't emphasize enough -- doing 3-4 days a week of moderate exercise (~70% of m/HR) is totally insufficient (if that's all you do). And then you got ebikes infiltrating the cycling scene

However, just as important is lifting weights, but everyone, including much of the health industry scoffs at the idea of pumping iron. Just look at any old person and see how their body is falling apart and can no longer participate in activities such as cycling and many can barely walk. Lifting heavy weights helps a lot to fight these conditions of aging. The industry is starting to come around to this, but still way too many people (the so-called experts) out there warning how pumping iron is dangerous for the elderly.