Old 08-29-22, 01:14 PM
tessellahedron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
https://earth.nullschool.net/
I find this site pretty useful. Once you zero in on your coordinates (I got them for my home from google maps) you can make a bookmark and come back to the same place every time. I generally plan my recreational rides so I'm going out against the wind and get pushed back home by them. The speed it gives is not too far off. My personal limit for fun rides is 15mph.
Wow, neat looking site. I'll definitely explore the features when I compare wind data sites. Thank you.

This morning I confirmed something I had observed and been confused by previously. If I'm biking about 15mph and the wind picks up to the point where it's not intolerable but quite annoying, when I stop the wind will be barely noticeable on my skin or ears. I measured winds from 5-11mph.

So 5-11mph is barely a noticeable breeze, but 20-26mph is nearing what I consider intolerable. Adding 15mph on the bike doesn't leave much room for wind. I may be overly sensitive. I recently learned that the area I grew up in supposedly has the lowest average wind in the United States at 1.1mph.

If the wind direction and speed change rapidly (like gusting from different directions) then even lower wind speeds get unpleasant for me, and that was part of the annoyance this morning.

thanks also for mentioning your limit. Mine is poorly defined and somewhat variable, but I now hope I can clear up the uncertainty with better forecasts and more experience just riding. :-)