cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Maricopa404
Yes. Bought it to add to my collection of older bikes. Some knock it while others love it. I just bought it out of curiosity. I think it’s an interesting bike. Amazing how well kept it is considering it is 23 years old. Looks new.
I know you’ll find a more modern tri specific bike that’ll fit your needs which may be lighter and will actually have more water bottle holders than just the one which this Y foil has. Tri bikes have come a long way and tri bikes tend to sell less than their strictly road bike counterparts. Good luck!
Originally Posted by guythatbrews
I was goofing around seeing how much my '98 yfoil 66 was worth and found this thread. I'm the only owner of this bike thought I'd add a few things.
Mine is 56cm and it's not the lightest bike out there. With the current junk I've got on ot it weighs 21.7 lbs. It might have been 21 out of the box (with pedals) but not much less.
Although the crankset is 2x9 dura ace the rest is ultegra. As pointed out some parts getting hard to find. I understand the 9 speed brifters are not the best and I've had to replace the right one.
I like the ride. Around here roads are crummy and it evens out the bumps. Hi speed cornering not a problem at all. My gut feeling is the aero part is way better than a double diamond frame. I seem to pull away from those on downhills.
It does get noticed. Folks that aren't into bikes much think it is the brand new hot stuff out there. And for sure it is a love it or hate it thing. But everybody loves the blue iced ink color.
Although I enjoy riding it, all things equal if it was 98 again I'd probably buy a conventional frame bike. Not sure why that is but that's the way I feel.
I thiink it's an awesome bike, overbuilt, as were most early CF bikes, but awesome.
I'd be all over a 56...
21 ish lbs is not THAT heavy... would be negligible for rolling terrain (is there even such a thing as 'flat' ?). Compared to the Softride frame/bike I had built for me in '93 - at 24.5 lbs... The 'beam' is a solid chunk of CF... LOL!
But for riding on 'heavy' roads - like we have out here - there's nothing like these bikes. Even the latest 'suspension' type designs like 'FutureShock' can't touch these.
You can just motor, full power, over the worst of roads, like belgian block or washboard chip seal.
Awesome bike ! Keep it in good shape...
Ride On
Yuri
Seriously though