Old 09-05-22, 04:52 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Liked 1,716 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder
DQRider, your Dawes Ranger looks terrific and great pic.
I saw one listed on United Kingdom eBay for $405 listed as a 1984 model with 531 Reynolds and seller says it's been powdercoated.
Did all of them have Reynolds tubing from this era?
What year model is yours?
I screen shot 3 of the pics of that eBay listing.
Here's seller's description...
"Dawes Ranger ATB. Full Reynolds 531 all-terrain. Powder-coated and partially lug- lined. The original paint wasn't in great condition, but the frame is very sound. No cracks, bends, dents etc. I was going to fix that broken cable guide but it wasn't causing any issues.
It's been swapped to a deore 7 speed group with shimano freewheel over the heliomatic/maillard combination.
Got the original badge if you want it."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I know is that this was probably the first mass-produced ATB/MTB imported to the USA from the UK. Mine is a 1984 as well. Remember, all of the quality manufacturers of the period were putting their best efforts into this potentially HUGE new market, which is one reason why I've made them the focus of my collection.

The catalog claims they were all hand-built, as does the original decal - I'll get some shots of those as I begin my painstaking preservation this winter. But I've just gone out to the shop and shot this for you:

"Guaranteed built with Reynolds 531 All-Terrain Forks, Stays, and Butted Frame Tubes" - The other decal on the right shows the tail end of"Hand-Built"

I looked-up the ad: It looks to me like the eBay seller removed the slingshot stem and took other liberties that significantly reduce the value of his offering. Also, I'm pretty sure he has the exchange rate wrong... things have changed, mate!

(Why is Pink Floyd playing on my internal gramaphone?)

Honestly, these first-generation ATB/MTBs were no great shakes off-road. They were modelled after the Mt. Tamalpais "klunkers", after all. And those were just stripped-down cruisers built by stoners. Dude! I raced my Lotus Pegasus at Big Bear and Mammoth mountains back in 1985-6, with the Marine Corps team "Devildogs" out of the special services lodge at Big Bear. My most vivid recollection involves descending on single track through the forest, arms straight-out in front of me, chest on the saddle (no dropper posts or suspension), hanging my arse out over the rear wheel for balance, then holes in my shorts and knobby-rash on my cheeks from the back tire bouncing over the rough terrain. At the end of a typical race, I looked as though I'd been sodomized by a Grizzly!

I know... you're welcome!

The way I've built mine up, it is the most comfortable of all my bikes on any terrain I would dare to ride. If you are interested in that eBay Ranger, I would show the seller this post and renegotiate the asking price.

Best of Luck!
* (Don't worry, Kurt. I didn't forget.)

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 09-05-22 at 08:17 PM.
Likes For DQRider: