View Single Post
Old 09-06-22, 05:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8372 Post(s)
Liked 9,222 Times in 4,545 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
40mph+ e-bikes are not common and equating them with what someone typically sees on their local MUP is silly.
Some of the e-bike are easily modified to defeat the speed limiter. A friend modified his and it will power over 40mph and I have seen videos and articles on how to do it.

The notion that young people don't ride e is as silly as anything else in this thread. There is a large number of young men who ride certain trails near here on long travel e-mountain bikes. I've seen them and even chatted with a couple. They wear body armor and full-face helmets and I've been warned to stay off the trails they use.

I use a local mup sometimes where there can be a lot of e-bikes. It's normally those huge ones with 4 inch wide tires and I haven't really had any problem with them.

I ride with a couple who has the high-end drop bar e-bikes. They're both experienced racers and great bike handlers but he had a heart issue so he needs the help.

I agree with the thoughts about e-riders having the potential to go faster and climb more than they could on a regular bike without any experience or training. There have been some deaths in the L.A. area and some people are demanding the city "do something" about it. The most recent one was a girl, I think around 12, who climbed a steep hill and when she turned around the speed was overwhelming and she crashed.

This sort of thing can happen on a human powered bike and we've seen runners and super fit people join road rides and climb well but have horrible crashes because they lack the skill that takes time to develop.