Thread: Tubes
View Single Post
Old 09-07-22, 07:07 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 771 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I actually carry a 700x23-25 tube despite the 28mm tires on the bike. A little less room to take up, and it will get me home just fine.
a good idea/option. Given the spare tube is butyl, most regular - not superlight - tubes will stretch plenty enough to take up the small extra space in a 28 or even 32. But the difference in deflated 'size' & weight, compared to the next size up is quite a bit - allows more space for other stuff in small saddlebag.
Been running TPU tubes for about a month on 1 road bike, 23 & 25c. Had my 1st flat yesterday - it's now thorn season out here... TPU definitely needs a higher level of handling, when working with tube or tire swaps and patching... more on this later.
I have tubeless on my gravel and mtb, and do see a nice ride improvement, but not so sure about 23 & 25c for road. At this time the tire selection is limited, compared to tubed tires... I look for good performance tires, but $70+ per is not in my budget...
I have an extra Set of HED wheels lying around... I might make them 'Tubeless' and experiment in the future. 'Tubeless' on a wheelset with narrower than 21 internal, just doesn't make sense to me... A big part of the improved ride and lower psi is due to the advantages of wider internal rim widths (21, 23 and now even 25...).
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen: