Old 09-10-22, 07:44 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
So, both I and my wife have gotten into cycling over a year ago, and winter is a bit challenging for outdoor activities for our interest. I purchased a cheap spin bike last year, and while it was fine for me she lost interest rapidly. My thinking was a smart bike instead of a trainer so we could share the bike and use some interactive or simulated riding throughout the Wisconsin winters

Not thinking of using it for training per say but more an enjoyable physical pass time with some exercise benefits. I get it, Dr Google is my friend, but honestly not sure what to to research any more, since it seems like everything is an ad or has promotional links. Honestly have no idea what I am looking for or where to start.

Not sure what works with what, and while I am budget conscience, I always feel I got screwed by going cheap and it ends up costing me more.
if you have road bikes you like there's two options: wheel on or wheel off trainers. In my experience buying a wheel on trainer is a waste since many seen to "graduate" to wheel off. There are some good wheel off smart trainers available for pretty reasonable prices. Expect to spend anywhere from $600 to $1000 for a good one. Then you'll need two subscriptions to a riding program, like Zwift. Then it's ride on time. Set them up side by side, use two devices, like ipads, laptops, etc and you can see the avatars riding side by side.

Same with Rouvy, which is a service that uses videos of rides in place of CGI. Either of these programs really help take the boredom out of indoor riding.
Likes For dmanthree: